Granola has competition

One of the things that send a dish over the edge for me is texture. I relish things with crunch, chew, snap—something to keep me guessing (in a good way).

And that's one of the reasons I love granola especially in my yogurt. Although I'm not a milk or yogurt fan and find the flavor almost unpalatable, I'm trying to eat more of it for its health benefits. So fruit, nuts and anything crunchy like granola are my culinary saviors.

When I saw this recipe for Quinoa Crunch in Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients, it was the tipping point for me scooping up the cookbook and heading to the checkout line.

Once baked the quinoa takes on a nutty flavor reminescent of toasted sesame seeds and the agave nectar adds just the slightest hint of sweetness. Since making my first batch, I've sprinkled it on yogurt, ice cream, and oatmeal. And if I'm being completely honest, I have to admit to eating it by the spoonful every so often in moments of weakness.

Quinoa Crunch (from Power Foods)

1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp. agave nectar
1 Tbsp. canola oil, or other neutral-tasting oil

Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix quinoa with nectar and oil until well coated. Spread mixture in an even layer on a foil-covered baking sheet and bake until crisp and golden brown. 8-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment